And we’re off!
The 98th General Assembly officially began at noon this past Wednesday. As we go into the first year of the two-year General Assembly session we wipe the legislative slate clean and start all over again. The Legislative Reference Bureau has begun posting proposed legislation for 2013 and we’ve begun our review. Committee work will begin shortly, and we’ll be off and running.
I wanted to take a minute to remind members of the many ways we can help you keep up-to-date on tax proposals pending before the General Assembly and how you can help us make sure we address all the bills of concern to your company.
As you know, we issue the Illinois Chamber Tax Institute Update each Friday during session to report to you on the week’s tax happenings. We’ve refreshed all our distribution lists over the past several weeks, so hopefully every one that wants to receive the Tax Institute Update will receive it directly. Other publications and Chamber update services available to Tax Institute members include:
- The Illinois Chamber Government Affairs Monday Conference Call. The Illinois Chamber’s government affairs staff hosts a conference call each Monday at 3:00 p.m. (central time) to report to members on bills scheduled for Committee that week and to seek your input on key legislation. A reminder is sent out each Monday morning with the call-in information. All Tax Institute members are invited to participate. [The discussion will include information on all key business bills for the week-not just tax bills.]
- If you can’t make the conference call, our Two Minute Warning videos also preview the coming week of legislative session and are distributed to interested members during session weeks.
- The Government Affairs Report is the Chamber’s primary communication newsletter to members about all public policy issues impacting Illinois business members. It is distributed every Friday when the legislature is in session and roughly every other Friday in non-session months.
- The Rail Report is a brief daily summary of key bill activity at the Statehouse and is available to members on all session days. And last but not least….
- The Illinois Chamber Website is also updated regularly to include a wealth of information on what’s happening at the Capitol along with other Chamber member services that are available to you. A running list of “Key Bills” is under the Government Affairs tab.
In addition to these resources, we will continue to convene conference calls or meetings to get your direct input on critical tax legislation.
You can subscribe (or unsubscribe) to any or all of our e-publications. Just send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or follow the link at the bottom of each publication. We encourage you to stay informed and stay engaged! Your knowledgeable input on tax legislation helps us negotiate the best possible outcome on dozens of bills each session. We value your opinion!